Skip to main content

Shh...Shoot!


What’s your favorite curse word?

See, I really used to like ‘Shit’. A fairly innocent word, in the wide range of curse words available, that you can easily change to ‘Shoot’ should there be little ears listening.

So when I bumped my knee at the corner of my desk,  forgot my credit card after ordering a coffee or received another speeding ticket:
There was my favorite word.

"SHIT!"

But I write ‘was’, because recently a new curse word has entered my vocabulary. 
And it’s a lot worse than ‘Shit’.

It’s the F word...

Now when I bump my knee at the corner of my desk, forget my credit card after ordering coffee or when I get another speeding ticket: There I go. The F word just effortlessly leaves my mouth.

Want to know where I'm going with this?

Well, you should know that ever since I’ve moved to Perth I’ve been surrounded by people who are dedicated F Sayers. And now, a few months later I unconsciously copied that behavior.

So what changed?

It is just what we humans do... 
Ever since we are young we copy behavior from other people. Because instinctively we know by doing so we increase our chances of survival. 
Luckily the chances of me not surviving by no longer using the word shit are very minimal; however the old instinct is still present. Both verbal as non verbal. 

In Training workshops I frequently work with this interesting principle. 
Recently I delivered a workshop on Non Verbal Communication and introduced the following activity to let people experience the effect:

I divide the participants into groups of three. 
The numbers 1 and 2 start interviewing number 3 on a topic where he or she likes to talk about.

What number 3 doesn't know is that number 1 received secret instructions to copy the Non Verbal behavior of number 3 in an inconspicuous way. No. 2 has received the secret instructions to choose totally different Non Verbal behavior than number 3.

If I ask number 3, after a few minutes, with whom he had the most contact chances are high he or she will say number 1.

Often participants don’t really know why they had more contact with number 1.
Let alone that they are aware it was probably just because their behavior was being copied. 

An eye opener for many. 

Would you like to know more about how InterACT WA can help improve your Non Verbal and Verbal Communication? (I promise you I won’t curse...;)

Visit www.interactwa.com.au or call 0487 693 349

Popular posts from this blog

Practice makes you 60% better!

Be honest: when you have a challenging conversation ahead, how much time do you spend practising it? I mean really practising—sitting down, speaking out loud, positioning your hands as you want them, and using the appropriate tone of voice—as opposed to just thinking about how to approach it. I spent nearly ten years in sales, and I used to rehearse my negotiation skills in my car. While I was mentally preparing, I realized that wasn’t real practice. You truly need to say it out loud and act it out. Take it from someone who has spent a lot of time rehearsing like an actor. There are two forms of long-term memory to consider: 1. **Explicit Memory**: This type stores facts, events, people, places, and objects. 2. **Implicit Memory**: This retains perceptual and motor skills, such as riding a bike or typing on a keyboard. To recall explicit memories—like the script of your message—you need to consciously focus on the process of retrieval, which can be challenging. In contrast, implicit m...

Assessing Job Applicants using Actors

Nearly two third of major companies in Australia solely use psycho-metrics in the hiring process as an indicator or candidate competency. But more HR professionals and corporate recruiters are coming up with different ways to assess job applicants and get the best people on board. Using professional role play actors for role play interviews has recently been a famous choice to choose candidates in the field of Sales, Marketing, Management and Service.  It turns out to be a quick, effective and revealing way of testing candidates on their suitability for a specific position. This is not only because the scenarios reflect common work situations, but also because it allows a candidate to demonstrate their ability to perform under pressure.  While competencies may also be tested within a competency based interview , it is necessary that job applicants demonstrate them throughout the recruitment process, or you could suspect that they are merely saying that t...

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

We often perceive Leadership Communication as a purely verbal and intellectual exercise, but that’s not the complete picture. Leadership Communication is less about the words you use and more about how you convey them. As you present your message, your physical presence plays a crucial role. Your body sends its own signals through gestures and tone of voice, which can differ significantly from your spoken words. Unfortunately, it’s often your body language that resonates more with your colleagues. This brings us to a fundamental truth: when it comes to body language, actions do speak louder than words. Your body language can either enhance or undermine your Leadership Communication. Your eyes, mouth, hands, head, and various body movements all provide insights into your mental state. While gestures can emphasize your points, excessive or exaggerated movements may come across as overbearing or aggressive when your intention was simply to appear "strong." Certain gestures, like...